Definition of pigment in English:
Pronunciation: /ˈpiɡmənt /
1The natural coloring matter of animal or plant tissue.
- Sources for pigments were animals, plants and minerals.
- Lycopene is a red pigment that occurs naturally in certain plant and algal tissues.
- Variegation in leaves is caused by a loss of light absorbing pigments in the plant cells.
1.1A substance used for coloring or painting, especially a dry powder that, when mixed with oil, water, or another medium, constitutes a paint or ink.
- In its broadest sense this term denotes painting done in pigments bound with a medium (generally gum arabic) which is soluble in water.
- Evan chose his pigments and applied his paints parsimoniously.
- She uses layers of hot beeswax tinted with oil paint and pigments, in bright hues of yellow, red, brown and orange, to make abstract works with texture and dimension.
Pronunciation: /piɡˈment /[with object] (usually as adjective pigmented) Back to top
Color (something) with or as if with pigment: pigmented areas such as freckles
More example sentences
- In red wines there are usually sufficient adsorbed tannins and pigmented tannins to colour the crystals reddish brown and to ensure that they are small and irregular in shape.
- According to my reference sources, albino birds are extremely rare in the wild, and they also tend to be attacked by the normally pigmented members of their flock.
- As an unstably pigmented American, I had to endure both freckles and the early loss of hair color.
Middle English, from Latin pigmentum, from pingere 'to paint'. The verb dates from the early 20th century.
- Example sentences
- No scarring or pigmentary alteration was seen in any study patient.
- The main risks to the other lasers are the pigmentary changes, either slightly lighter or darker skin that is usually temporary, swelling for a few days or superficial flaking of the skin or sometimes blistering.
- Thus, greater pigmentary changes were observed in the forehead compared to the forearm, a finding compatible with the greater distribution of melanocytes in this anatomic area.