A small mammal related to the rabbits, having rounded ears, short limbs, and a very small tail.
- Family Ochotonidae and genus Ochotona: many species, including the collared pika (O. collaris) of western North America
More example sentences
- Their principle source of food is mice, but squirrels, snowshoe hares, and pikas are also popular.
- The ermine's diet consists primarily of mice, but they also prey upon cottontails, small hares, porcupines, squirrels, pikas, and rats.
- Elephant shrews (no relation), pikas, and Tupaia treeshrews share both absentee-like maternal care and diurnality - that is, they are active during the day, when prey is more easily spotted by predators.
early 19th century: from Tungus piika.
Definition of pika in:
- The British & World English dictionary