- A Middle Eastern or Indian dish of rice (or sometimes wheat) cooked in stock with spices, typically having added meat or vegetables.More example sentences
- Garam masala is mostly used with meat; to a lesser extent in poultry and rice dishes, such as pilafs and birianis; and only rarely in fish or vegetable dishes, for which its aroma is considered too strong.
- The rice pilaf and many-hued grilled vegetables that come with it may not have the wow factor, but they are fresh, wholesome and nicely done.
- You can use the leaves with tomatoes, beans, carrots, potatoes, pilafs, pasta salads, baked chicken, roast lamb, grilled meats - even fish and other seafood.
early 19th century: Turkish pilâv from Persian pilāv (see pilau).
More definitions of pilafDefinition of pilaf in:
- The British & World English dictionary