A small, edible, commercially valuable marine fish of the herring family.
- Sardinops and other genera, family Clupeidae: several species, including the European Sardina pilchardus. See also sardine1
More example sentences
- Oily fish such as herring, kippers, mackerel, pilchards, salmon, sardines and trout, contain oils that can lessen the risk of thrombosis.
- The omega - 3 oil found in oily fish such as mackerel, salmon, fresh tuna, sardines, herring, kippers, pilchards, trout and anchovies are known to have a protective effect on the heart.
- Both white fish (such as haddock, plaice, halibut and sole) and oily fish (such as sardines, salmon, trout, pilchards and mackerel) are valuable sources of protein, vitamins and minerals.
mid 16th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of pilchard in:
- The British & World English dictionary