Definition of pile driver in English:
A machine for driving piles into the ground.
- Katrin grabbed a cot from downstairs and set it up in the middle of the piledriver.
- Most days of the week, the sound of piledrivers is at near-deafening levels outside St. Paul's Convent School in the Causeway Bay business district of Hong Kong.
- On the far side of this broad stretch of water jackhammers and piledrivers rattle away on a swathe of residential development around the new Dockland Museum.
pile-driving noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- I don't mean to come down too hard, because they still know how to deliver a good piledriving riff.
- A spokesman for Bradford Council said: ‘We are currently in negotiation with the developer's solicitors to try to reduce the impact piledriving is having on neighbours in Grange Close.’
- It's a mood reflected in a set of lyrics that grapple with the doubts and regrets of middle age - as Mould laments on the piledriving opener ‘Circles,’ ‘my circle of friends is shrinking’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan