Definition of pileated woodpecker in English:
A large North American woodpecker with mainly black plumage and a red cap and crest.
- Dryocopus pileatus, family Picidae
- While hiking, canoeing, kayaking, or eating a picnic lunch, watch for Gulf Coast spiny softshell turtles, loggerhead shrikes, pileated woodpeckers, Seminole bats, and spotted salamanders.
- After contemplating the hard life of the hard-rock miner, take a hike on the Eureka Peak Loop Trail, where we spotted a Sierra aviary of birds, including pileated woodpeckers and calliope hummingbirds.
- In the woods, a variety of large and small animals and birds are attracted to red maple, including deer, elk, screech owls, moose and pileated woodpeckers.
Late 18th century: pileated from Latin pileatus 'capped', from pileus 'felt cap'.
Definition of pileated woodpecker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.