Definition of pill pusher in English:
1A person, specifically a doctor, who resorts too readily to advocating the use of medication to cure illness rather than considering other treatments.
- A pill-pusher, as he jokingly calls it, Marvin logged nearly 1,000 hours of volunteer time last year between the base pharmacy and the retiree affairs office.
- She joins a slew of other former athletes such as Mike Ditka, pill pushers for the media age, who hawk medicine we're not supposed to take without our doctor's permission.
1.1Any seller of drugs for profit, such as a pharmaceutical company or a drug dealer.
- The psychotic pill pusher reportedly refused to leave, sending both doctor and patient fleeing for their lives.
- As the invaluable newsletter The Washington Spectator observed in its June 15 edition, ‘The pharmaceutical companies are pill pushers that have been turning health care into wealth care - theirs.’
- But Li said that the firms were far from simple pill-pushers.
pill-pushing noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Real-life doctors are in the pill-pushing business; it pays for them to find ‘conditions’ and prescribe medications.
- Instead of treating patients, the economics of the health plan has created a system of pill pushing.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan