Definition of pillbox in English:
1A small shallow cylindrical box for holding pills.
- Some people put their pills in a daily pillbox and use alarms to remind themselves to take their medicines.
- There are figurines amassed by Christie's father, 20th-century pottery of Anthony's and watches and pillboxes of Christie's.
- His face adorns pillowcases, posters, power toys and pillboxes.
1.1 (usually pillbox hat) A woman’s round hat with upright sides, a flat top, and no brim.
- On the second day of the trial, Ellie Strubing entered the courthouse in a dark plaid coat and matching pillbox hat, attended by a doctor and a nurse.
- My mother unveiled a slim and elegant gold-plated pillbox at breakfast after my New York City book party.
1.2A small, enclosed, partly underground concrete fort used as an outpost.
- Examples of less ambitious fortifications abound, like the concrete pillboxes, often hexagonal, which dot southern England.
- Dutch Harbor is an easy two-hour flight from Anchorage, and the area is covered with reminders of the war, from concrete pillboxes to a large, underground hospital.
- Concrete pillboxes were constructed above the high tide mark, soldiers occupied some of the cottages along the shore front and guards prevented anyone going on the beach at night.
Definition of pillbox in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan