Definition of pilot whale in English:
A toothed whale that has black skin with a gray anchor-shaped marking on the chin, a low dorsal fin, and a square bulbous head. Also called blackfish.
- Genus Globicephala, family Delphinidae: the long-finned G. melas of subtropical waters, and the short-finned G. macrorhyncus of temperate waters
- Length seems to be of biological importance for the common dolphin, the pilot whale, and the harbor porpoise.
- In June, along the shoreline of Mauritania, in northwest Africa, scientists made a gruesome discovery: the carcasses of 230 dolphins, a pilot whale, and 15 endangered hawksbill and leatherback sea turtles.
- Despite their names, some of these are really types of dolphin, as is the short-finned pilot whale.
Definition of pilot whale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.