noun[treated as singular or plural]
- A pair of eyeglasses with a nose clip instead of earpieces.More example sentences
- The woman looks barely older than a sixth-former, with her hair styled sharply over to one side and a pair of pince-nez perched on her nose.
- For her part, Eliss found Ciaran dusty and hidebound, carrying as he did a clipboard, a stylus and a pair of pince-nez on a steel chain.
- She adjusts the pince-nez on her nose and sighs.
late 19th century: from French, literally '(that) pinches (the) nose'.
More definitions of pince-nezDefinition of pince-nez in:
- The British & World English dictionary