Definition of pineapple in English:
1A large juicy tropical fruit consisting of aromatic edible yellow flesh surrounded by a tough segmented skin and topped with a tuft of stiff leaves.
- These consumers ‘customize’ Kool-Aid by adding oranges, grapes, pineapples, fruit juice, and club soda.
- Exotic foods such as potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, pineapples - fruits and vegetables of the New World, were unknown here.
- Fruit such as pineapples, coconuts, oranges, mangoes, bananas, apples, and lychees are subject to seasonal availability.
2The widely cultivated tropical American plant that bears this fruit. It is low-growing, with a spiral of spiny sword-shaped leaves on a thick stem.
- Ananas comosus, family Bromeliaceae
- Atrazine is mainly applied to corn and soybean crops, but is also used on sorghum, sugarcane, pineapple, turf grass, and Christmas tree farms.
- Other species of Phytophthora destroy eucalyptus, avocado, pineapples, and other tropical crop plants.
- In the lush green foothills above town, I'd found every incline, even a slope that seemed too steep to climb, cultivated with longan, lychee, pineapple, betel nut or banana.
3 informal A hand grenade.
- He said the explosive was among three pineapple grenades and a mortar found by local residents over the past month, with the most recent discovery taking place on July 8.
- A second fighter then emerged, a pineapple grenade in each hand, with pins already pulled.
- Some weapons need a bit more consideration, for example, the pineapple grenade.
Definition of pineapple in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan