Definition of pinna in English:
noun (plural pinnaeˈpinē)
1 Anatomy & Zoology The external part of the ear in humans and other mammals; the auricle.
- Under direct vision the excessive hair follicles of the external ear canal and pinna were targeted by the laser beam.
- Patients with otitis externa experience pain on manipulation of the pinna or tragus, and their ear canal is edematous and filled with infectious debris.
- Body piercing and multiple ear piercings in the pinna, rather than the earlobe, are catching on.
2 Botany A primary division of a pinnate leaf, especially of a fern.
- Each leaf has many pinnae and a leaf axis that is subdivided into a midrib and a petiole.
- If the primary pinnae are divided, then the individual divisions are known as pinnules.
- Lepidoteris fronds typically have so-called intercalary pinnules along the rachis between the primary pinnae, and are covered with the characteristic blisters mentioned above.
Definition of pinna in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.