noun (plural pinnae /ˈpinē/)
- 1 Anatomy & Zoology The external part of the ear in humans and other mammals; the auricle.More example sentences
- Under direct vision the excessive hair follicles of the external ear canal and pinna were targeted by the laser beam.
- Patients with otitis externa experience pain on manipulation of the pinna or tragus, and their ear canal is edematous and filled with infectious debris.
- Body piercing and multiple ear piercings in the pinna, rather than the earlobe, are catching on.
- 2 Botany A primary division of a pinnate leaf, especially of a fern.More example sentences
- Each leaf has many pinnae and a leaf axis that is subdivided into a midrib and a petiole.
- If the primary pinnae are divided, then the individual divisions are known as pinnules.
- Lepidoteris fronds typically have so-called intercalary pinnules along the rachis between the primary pinnae, and are covered with the characteristic blisters mentioned above.
- 3 Zoology Any of a number of animal structures resembling fins or wings.More example sentences
- They get their name from the Latin words pinna (feather or wing) and pedes (feet).
late 18th century: modern Latin, from a variant of Latin penna 'feather, wing, fin'.
More definitions of pinnaDefinition of pinna in:
- The British & World English dictionary