Definition of pinniped in English:
A carnivorous aquatic mammal of the order Pinnipedia, such as a seal or walrus.
- Killer whales also prey on mammals such as other cetaceans and pinnipeds, as well as on birds and large fish.
- Porpoising is a behavioral strategy used by small cetaceans and pinnipeds moving at high speed near the water surface.
- This sensitivity could provide a means to track a dead whale's scent from miles away or find a pinniped rookery or haul-out site from their excrement droppings carried by the oceans currents.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting pinnipeds.
- We tested 42 microsatellite loci isolated from five pinniped species in a sample of 52 pups.
- A healthy avoidance of pinniped colonies is another way to minimize human fatalities.
- They look like seals, but sea lions actually belong to a different pinniped family.
Definition of pinniped in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia