Definition of pinocytosis in English:
The ingestion of liquid into a cell by the budding of small vesicles from the cell membrane.
- Cells use pinocytosis to take up TCII hydroxocobalamin.
- However, small areas of low emission could be found in the cytoplasm, showing that the compound was taken up by the cells, probably by pinocytosis.
- It is possible that the chemical can gain entry into cells as small, colloidal particles via phagocytosis or pinocytosis and may also enter dead, dying or damaged cells.
late 19th century: from Greek pino 'drink' + -cytosis on the pattern of phagocytosis.
- Example sentences
- Abundant basal lamina, interdigitating cell membrane, rough endoplasmic reticulum, and pinocytotic vesicles were seen in all 3 cases.
- The cells had dense basal lamina with pinocytotic vesicles along their surface and numerous cytoplasmic thin microfilaments with dense bodies.
- Electron microscopic examination showed spindle cells containing fine filaments associated with focal densities and pinocytotic vesicles, indicating rudimentary smooth muscle cell differentiation.
Definition of pinocytosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan