Definition of pint in English:
1A unit of liquid or dry capacity equal to one half of a quart.
- I still talk about acres, yards, feet and inches; not forgetting gallons and pints and also hundredweights pounds and ounces.
- The liter and its fractions have vanquished quarts, pints, and gallons, while the pound is still holding its own in things such as produce.
- The milk is available in gallons, half gallons, quarts and pints.
1.1British informal A pint of beer.
- Beer drinkers in York today raised a glass to the city's publicans, after it emerged they were getting some of the best-value pints in Britain.
- Protestations that ‘we've only had four’ rang hollow as we remembered each Stein equals a couple of pints.
- As afternoon faded into evening, the flow of pints became a gentle flood, noses reddened and smiles stretched closer to each ear.
late Middle English: from Old French pinte, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with pintGeraint
Definition of pint in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan