noun (plural same or pipefishes)
A narrow, elongated, chiefly marine fish with segmented bony armor beneath the skin and a long tubular snout.
- Syngnathus and other genera, family Syngnathidae: numerous species
More example sentences
- Leafy seadragons are bony fish in the family Syngnathidae which includes seahorses and pipefishes.
- Do pipefish and seahorse males have complete confidence of paternity, as might be expected given their involved parental care?
- Genetic analysis of the gulf pipefish showed as many as four males being simultaneously ‘pregnant’ with eggs from the same female.
Definition of pipefish in:
- The British & World English dictionary