Definition of pipette in English:
A slender tube attached to or incorporating a bulb, for transferring or measuring out small quantities of liquid, especially in a laboratory.
- Lambda pipettes are used to transfer very small liquid volumes down to 1 microliter.
- This material was transferred to 1.5 ml Ependorff tubes with pipettes.
- DNA was dialysed by inserting the DNA sample with a pipette into dialysis tubing and securing the ends with clips.
verb[with object] Back to top
Pour, convey, or draw off using a pipette.
- Ten minutes after adding malate, we again pipetted the supernatant from the same dish into other test tubes.
- The chambers were assembled and collagen/cell suspension was pipetted inside the polycarbonate sheath.
- Cells were ruptured by pipetting the resuspension 30 times through a Gilson 200 l tip.
mid 19th century: from French, literally 'little pipe', diminutive of pipe.
Definition of pipette in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan