Definition of pipit in English:
A mainly ground-dwelling songbird of open country, typically having brown streaky plumage.
- Family Motacillidae: three genera, in particular Anthus, and many species, including the sparrow-sized water pipit (A. spinoletta) of the northern hemisphere
- Skylarks, wheatears, pipits and greylag geese fill any silences that remain.
- Most observations relate to larks, pipits and finches but kestrels are capable of taking such quarry as fieldfares, turtle doves and lapwing.
- In addition, killdeer, pipits and some shorebirds visit the grassy areas of landfills.
Mid 18th century: probably imitative.
Words that rhyme with pipitsippet, skippet, snippet, tippet, Tippett, whippet
Definition of pipit in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan