Definition of pipit in English:
A mainly ground-dwelling songbird of open country, typically having brown streaky plumage.
- Family Motacillidae: three genera, in particular Anthus, and many species, including the sparrow-sized water pipit (A. spinoletta) of the northern hemisphere
- Skylarks, wheatears, pipits and greylag geese fill any silences that remain.
- Most observations relate to larks, pipits and finches but kestrels are capable of taking such quarry as fieldfares, turtle doves and lapwing.
- In addition, killdeer, pipits and some shorebirds visit the grassy areas of landfills.
Mid 18th century: probably imitative.
Words that rhyme with pipitsippet, skippet, snippet, tippet, Tippett, whippet
Definition of pipit in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.