noun (plural same or piranhas)
A deep-bodied South American freshwater fish that typically lives in schools and has very sharp teeth that are used to tear flesh from prey. It has a reputation as a fearsome predator.
- Serrasalmus and other genera, family Characidae: several species, including the red (or red-bellied) piranha (S. natterei)
More example sentences
- Two well-known fish with multiple rows of teeth are piranhas and sharks.
- Some items are curios, such as a necklace of peccary teeth and a piranha jaw fashioned into a cutting tool.
- I would rather throw myself to piranhas than have that reputation.
Definition of piranha in:
- The British & World English dictionary