nouninformal, chiefly US
1An employee in a casino in charge of gaming tables.
- They include several police detectives, a casino pit boss, a nurse and a former state representative who ran unsuccessfully for a Michigan senate seat.
- Odds are you won't hear a pit boss or casino hostess utter those words next time you belly up to the blackjack table.
- Just then the pit boss appeared and the dealer, who looked surprised after reading the placard, asked him about this unusual rule.
1.1 dated A foreman in a coal mine.
- National Union of Mineworkers officials plan to prosecute pit bosses for failing to give them 90 days mandatory notice over the shutdown.
- But Mr Wilson gave both pit bosses and union leaders a clear warning to work together on the new aid scheme or face further pit shutdowns.
- Selby pit bosses were celebrating today after the complex won its second Government pay-out of more than £ 20 million in less than six months.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: pit boss
Definition of pit boss in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.