1 Motorsports A stop in the pits for servicing and refueling, especially during a race.
- We did a scheduled pit stop halfway through the race then made a brief stop for fuel near the end of the race.
- I knew I was quicker, I knew that I should have to pit and therefore when I came out ahead of him at the last pit stop the race was done.
- Chamberlain duly romped to a fourth victory and even had time for a quick pit stop in the opening race.
1.1A brief rest, especially during a journey.
- So for example, you might have to spend 19 hours flying from Singapore to Los Angeles, with a brief pit stop in Tokyo.
- The roads through the base have been closed to the public for around 90 years, but naval leaders opened the gates to allow the classic cars in for a brief pit stop before they returned to Helensburgh.
- We called it a final truce and decided to find somewhere for a pit stop before leaving.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: pit stop
Definition of pit stop in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.