Definition of pitcher plant in English:
A plant with a deep pitcher-shaped pouch that contains fluid into which insects are attracted and trapped. The plant then absorbs nutrients from their bodies.
- Families Sarraceniaceae (New World), Droseraceae (New World), and Nepenthaceae (Old World): many species, including the purple-flowered Sarracenia purpurea of eastern North America and the white-flowered California pitcher plant (Darlingtonia californica) of the western US. See also trumpet (sense 2 of the noun)
- The pitcher plant attracts insects through the reddish colour and musty smell of its leaves.
- The pitcher plant, with their upright hollow tubular leaves and capped lids, is the most popular.
- The California pitcher plant, largest of the five killer plant species found here, will even consume butterflies, if it gets the chance.
Definition of pitcher plant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.