Definition of pitcher plant in English:
A plant with a deep pitcher-shaped pouch that contains fluid into which insects are attracted and trapped. The plant then absorbs nutrients from their bodies.
- Families Sarraceniaceae (New World), Droseraceae (New World), and Nepenthaceae (Old World): many species, including the purple-flowered Sarracenia purpurea of eastern North America and the white-flowered California pitcher plant (Darlingtonia californica) of the western US. See also trumpet (sense 2) of the noun)
- The pitcher plant attracts insects through the reddish colour and musty smell of its leaves.
- The pitcher plant, with their upright hollow tubular leaves and capped lids, is the most popular.
- The California pitcher plant, largest of the five killer plant species found here, will even consume butterflies, if it gets the chance.
Definition of pitcher plant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan