Definition of pitchout in English:
1 Baseball A pitch thrown intentionally away from the reach of the batter to allow the catcher a clear throw to put out a base runner who is stealing or leading off too far.
- Pitchers also were taught to throw to first more often to keep the runner close; pitchouts have become more common, as well.
- The first time George gave the steal sign, Roseboro picked it up, called for a pitchout and threw out Tracewski by a mile.
- But Robinson also received a tepid response when he encouraged the catchers to call pitchouts in spring training.
2 (also pitch) Football A lateral, especially from the quarterback to a running back.
- Against Colorado, Texas began looking down field more and instituted reverses, pitchouts and the shuttle pass.
- Wells was stuffed on a pitchout on fourth-and-one from the Houston 45.
- He set up Tampa's first score with a 23-yard dash on a pitchout.
Definition of pitchout in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan