- 1.1 (also pitot-static tube, pitot head) A device consisting of a pitot tube inside or adjacent to a parallel tube closed at the end but with holes along its length, the pressure difference between them being a measure of the relative velocity of the fluid or the airspeed of an aircraft.More example sentences
- The recovered wings all show twin pneumatic lines as well as electric lines for the heater element going out to the pitot tube.
- Ken, a former flight instructor in B - 24s, who had volunteered for combat duty, made doubly certain the pitot covers had been removed from the pitot heads.
- As he climbed back into his seat, the copilot's airspeed indicator began to rapidly decrease (its pitot tube had frozen).
late 19th century: named after Henri Pitot (1695–1771), French physicist.
More definitions of pitot tubeDefinition of pitot tube in:
- The British & World English dictionary