Definition of placebo in English:
noun (plural placebos)
1A harmless pill, medicine, or procedure prescribed more for the psychological benefit to the patient than for any physiological effect: his Aunt Beatrice had been kept alive on sympathy and placebos for thirty years [as modifier]: placebo drugs
More example sentences
- According to the report published in the British Medical Journal, 60 percent of medical professionals prescribe placebos to their patients.
- According to a new study by Israeli researchers, most doctors prescribe placebos to their patients, and in most of these cases, the patients are told they are receiving real medication.
- And, if some patients benefit from placebos, and they are not harmed, I guess I can live with that.
1.1A substance that has no therapeutic effect, used as a control in testing new drugs.
- All placebo controlled trials were positive and all comparative trials indicated equivalence with other active therapies.
- That one doesn't get answered as often as it should, because the FDA generally only requires testing against placebo.
- The practice of testing new medicines against placebo, rather than against the best treatment available, has contributed to a general lack of knowledge.
1.2A measure designed merely to calm or please someone.
- It's interesting that the broken crosswalk buttons were not originally designed to act as placebos (presumably).
- The stock markets, leisure travel, and all the other industries affected are relying on the sum of all these measures, including the placebos, to recover.
- There is some debate as to whether an argon suit inflation system keeps you warm, or merely acts as a placebo i.e. making you believe that you're warmer!
late 18th century: from Latin, literally 'I shall please', from placere 'to please'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan