Definition of placental in English:
1Of or relating to a placenta.
- In mice, the gender of adjacent siblings on the placental fetus line in the uterus will affect such things as the male/female ratio of a given mouse's subsequent offspring, and even the longevity of those offspring.
- She believes her 14-year-old daughter's scleroderma, a systemic sclerosis, is linked to silicone crossing the placental barrier.
- The couple, from Whinmoor, Leeds, claim greater care should have been taken of the woman who was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia - a placental defect - some weeks before the birth.
1.1 Zoology Relating to or denoting mammals that possess a placenta; eutherian.
- To distinguish them from the marsupials and the placental mammals the monotremes are placed in their own class, the prototheria.
- The reproductive system of the therians (marsupial and placental mammals) is a complex variation on the egg-layer's basic tubular structure.
- Both taxa are placental or eutherian mammals, but their relationships to other eutherians continue to be a source of discussion.
nounZoology Back to top
A placental mammal. See Eutheria.
- ‘Looking across the world, 99.9 percent of modern mammals are placentals and marsupials, so finding how they came about is an important question,’ he said.
- It is significant because a vast majority of mammals alive today are placentals.
- Cathy's work suggests that, unlike placentals, marsupial mammals never had to rediscover red; for them, it's always been there.
Definition of placental in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan