- 1Checkered or tartan twilled cloth, typically made of wool.More example sentences
- Highlights of its mix-and-match range include knitwear in cable, Fair Isle and jersey, leather pieces in oak and black, and fabrics such as wool plaid, bouclé and herringbone.
- Men's classic suiting is coming out in patterns such as houndstooth, herringbone, glen plaid, tartan, pinstripes and Donegal tweed.
- The familiar wool plaid jackets kept these men warm in early morning before the rays of the sun penetrated the canopy to reach the forest floor.
- 1.1A long piece of plaid worn over the shoulder as part of Scottish Highland dress.More example sentences
- Hard to miss, especially as they turned out in full dress uniform with plaids and feather bonnets on what turned out to be a warm day.
- The plaid is a length of tartan cloth draped over the shoulder and does not properly refer to the pattern, which is the tartan.
- His genre paintings, after he came to London, are not strongly Scottish in their detail (as a Lowlander he was unhappy that the kilt and plaid were being treated as national costume).
- More example sentences
- They are checked and striped, plaided and spotted, creased, curved, whirled.
- He had on when he left a black cloth cap, black cloth pantaloons, a plaided sack coat, a fine shirt, and brogan shoes.
early 16th century: from Scottish Gaelic plaide 'blanket', of unknown ultimate origin.