- A person who brings a case against another in a court of law. Compare with defendant.More example sentences
- The defendants negligently told the plaintiffs that X was much wealthier than in fact he was.
- The plaintiffs sued the defendant alleging that he had been negligent in a number of ways.
- Several years later the plaintiff gave the defendant notice to quit under the lease agreement.
late Middle English: from Old French plaintif 'plaintive' (used as a noun). The -f ending has come down through Law French; the word was originally the same as plaintive.
More definitions of plaintiffDefinition of plaintiff in:
- The British & World English dictionary