- 1An ornamental tablet, typically of metal, porcelain, or wood, that is fixed to a wall or other surface in commemoration of a person or event.More example sentences
- The kick off is at 2pm where a plaque to commemorate the event will be unveiled.
- Commemorative wall plaques and mugs in celebration of 150 years of St. Conleth's Church are available in the Parish Office.
- The Cincfleet Admiral took the salute and unveiled a plaque to commemorate the event.
- 2A sticky deposit on teeth in which bacteria proliferate.More example sentences
- Pericoronitis - an infection of the soft tissue surrounding the tooth, caused by a build of plaque (a sticky white substance that contains bacteria).
- Salivary bicarbonate can help protect teeth against attack from acids produced by bacteria in dental plaque.
- Tooth decay is caused by the bacteria in dental plaque breaking down sugar in the foods and drinks that you eat and drink.
- 3 Medicine A small, distinct, typically raised patch or region resulting from local damage or deposition of material, such as a fatty deposit on an artery wall in atherosclerosis or a site of localized damage of brain tissue in Alzheimer’s disease.More example sentences
- Atherosclerosis, which develops as fatty plaques within arterial walls, underlies both heart attack and stroke.
- To understand how atherosclerotic plaques become deposited in arteries it is necessary to understand how the highly insoluble cholesterol is moved about the body.
- High blood cholesterol can lead to deposits of plaques, which narrow your arteries and increase your risk of heart attack and stroke.
- 3.1 Microbiology A clear area in a cell culture caused by the inhibition of growth or destruction of cells by an agent such as a virus.More example sentences
- Progeny phage that produced clear plaques in the presence of IPTG and X-gal were analyzed by a differential oligonucleotide hybridization technique, as reported.
- The comparative analysis of the degree of pathogenecity among Indian isolates of WNV in mice, and their plaque size in cell culture were studied 30.
- The activated PS2-containing integrins are clustered in basal plaques on each cell, but the PS1-containing heterodimers are not.
mid 19th century: from French, from Dutch plak 'tablet', from plakken 'to stick'.