Definition of plate tectonics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
A theory explaining the structure of the earth’s crust and many associated phenomena as resulting from the interaction of rigid lithospheric plates that move slowly over the underlying mantle.
- In the early 1960s, the emergence of the theory of plate tectonics started a revolution in the earth sciences.
- The theory of plate tectonics holds that the entire crust of the earth is broken into six large pieces and many smaller ones.
- Scientists were surprised by this finding because andesites on Earth are typically created by processes associated with plate tectonics.
- Example sentences
- Next are three chapters that deal with the origin of magmas, magmatic differentiation, and plate-tectonic settings related to magma generation.
- His introduction gives an overview of geologic time, plate-tectonic history, and glaciers to set the stage for the rest of the book.
- Oil and natural gas are the products of the deep burial and decomposition of accumulated organic material in geologic basins that flank mountain ranges formed by plate-tectonic processes.
Definition of plate tectonics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia