1The plate in a small letterpress printing press that presses the paper against the type.
- The pressman pulled on the bar, causing the platen to press the tympan on the inked type and taking the impression.
- All these prototypes were shaped into panels of various commercial thicknesses with a steam-heated platen press.
- The first power-driven platen press was developed about 1822.
2The cylindrical roller in a typewriter against which the paper is held.
- I'd set it up on the desk in my bedroom and feed a couple of sheets of paper down behind the platen roller.
- Strangely I feel this too with the early poems, a sense of deliberation, you can almost hear the typewriter keys hit the paper on the platen.
- Crack open any inkjet, and you'll find the same parts - paper feed, platens, optical tracking tape, and so on.
Late 16th century: from French platine 'flat piece', from plat 'flat'.
Words that rhyme with platenbaton, batten, fatten, flatten, harmattan, Manhattan, Mountbatten, paten, patten, pattern, Saturn, slattern
Definition of platen in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.