Definition of plating in English:
1A thin coating of gold, silver, or other metal.
- They were gold and bright, like the gold platings you sometimes find on fancy book covers like Bibles or Encyclopedias.
- Vapor phase coatings differ from platings in that it is neigh well impossible to plate aluminum or aluminum alloys from an aqueous bath.
- Under the gold paint was actual gold plating over nickel plating.
1.1The process of applying a thin coating of gold, silver, or other metal.
- Seminars on plating and total casting process are scheduled during these three days, he added.
- Notes on finishing touches and plating are included, illustrated by splendid pictures.
- The Factory Division, by far the largest, was subdivided by functional activities (pattern making, inspection, plating, tool making, grinding, etc.).
2An outer covering of broad, flattish sections, typically of metal: the tractors carried steel plating for protection
More example sentences
- Fabric covered steel plating provides increased ballistic protection in the cockpit and cabin.
- And there on a section of plating on her bow were the letters ‘U’, ‘M’ and ‘E’.
- Along with this there were at least three feet of standard outer plating around the ship that were made of special ceramics that were designed to be proof against the cold and vacuum of space.
Words that rhyme with platinggrating, rating, slating, uprating, weighting
Definition of plating in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan