Definition of platypus in English:
noun (plural platypuses)
A semiaquatic egg-laying mammal that frequents lakes and streams in eastern Australia. It has a sensitive pliable bill shaped like that of a duck, webbed feet with venomous spurs, and dense fur. Also called duckbill platypus.
- Ornithorhynchus anatinus, the only member of the family Ornithorhynchidae, order Monotremata
- The only living monotremes are the platypuses and the echidnas.
- The mammals the researchers studied were the platypus, echidna, opossum, wallaby, hedgehog, mouse, rat, rabbit, cow, pig, bat, tree shrew, colugo, ringtail lemur, and humans.
- Two of the most amazing mammals on Earth are the naked mole-rat and the platypus.
Words that rhyme with platypusOlympus • Oedipus
Definition of platypus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.