Definition of platypus in English:
noun (plural platypuses)
A semiaquatic egg-laying mammal that frequents lakes and streams in eastern Australia. It has a sensitive pliable bill shaped like that of a duck, webbed feet with venomous spurs, and dense fur. Also called duckbill platypus.
- Ornithorhynchus anatinus, the only member of the family Ornithorhynchidae, order Monotremata
- The only living monotremes are the platypuses and the echidnas.
- The mammals the researchers studied were the platypus, echidna, opossum, wallaby, hedgehog, mouse, rat, rabbit, cow, pig, bat, tree shrew, colugo, ringtail lemur, and humans.
- Two of the most amazing mammals on Earth are the naked mole-rat and the platypus.
Words that rhyme with platypusOlympus • Oedipus
Definition of platypus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan