noun (plural platysmas or platysmata /-mətə/)Anatomy
- A broad sheet of muscle fibers extending from the collarbone to the angle of the jaw.More example sentences
- A ptosis of the platysma muscle which hangs down, causes a bad result when using liposuction alone.
- A small light aids him as he suctions and cuts out the fat and stitches together the pink platysma muscle.
- The platysma is secured to the mastoid periosteum after raising the lateral platysma flap in order to help define the jaw line and improve contouring in the submandibular region.
late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek platusma 'flat piece, plate'.
More definitions of platysmaDefinition of platysma in:
- The British & World English dictionary