Definition of playact in English:
1.1 [with object] Act (a scene, role, etc.).
- It is one thing to play-act the gender role of frightened female in a movie theater where the horror is only simulated, but do I want to perform that same gender construction in real life?
- They will see the world differently and may not be so eager to play-act violence.
- In ID4, Smith's partner (Harry Connick, Jr.) play-acts a marriage proposal to him in a locker room.
1.2 (usually as noun playacting) Engage in histrionic pretense: the defender indulged in some playacting after tumbling to the ground
More example sentences
- Otherwise it's pretending, play-acting, not really living.
- Also had a couple of storming, skilful bursts up the park, although his penchant for play-acting rankled throughout and eventually earned him a booking.
- Mentalizing is pervasive in everyday life, in communication and co-operation, in pedagogy, in play-acting, but also in deceiving, cheating, and outwitting.
- Example sentences
- Beyond this, we now find Prime Ministers who are unconscious play-actors, living out tragicomic careers as if for all the world they were indeed the authentic rulers of our time.
- Clearly happy to live in some pantomime version of the distant Celtic past, these shabby play-actors only serve to give the concrete jungle a good name.
- The diving play-actors, on whom referees have been instructed to clamp down, will draw scant consolation from that as they take an early bath.
Definition of playact in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan