- 1An additional game or period of play that decides the outcome of a tied contest: a sudden-death playoff was required to settle the tournamentMore example sentences
- We're doing okay in the league and are one of several clubs fighting for the final play-off spot.
- It would be my first medal apart from the play-off final with Birmingham in 2002 and it would be nice to add to it.
- But they have made it to the play-off final so they still have a good chance of joining us in League One.
- 1.1 (playoffs) A series of contests played to determine the winner of a championship, as between the leading teams in different divisions or leagues: Chandler was credited with taking his team to the playoffsMore example sentences
- The prison team eventually won the playoffs and was promoted to the second league championship.
- They went out early in the playoffs but the team is headed in the right direction.
- If the team reaches the playoffs, it will mean the defense has raised its level of play.
More definitions of playoffDefinition of playoff in:
- The British & World English dictionary