noun (plural pleasantries)(usually pleasantries)
- 1An inconsequential remark made as part of a polite conversation: after an exchange of pleasantries, I proceeded to outline a planMore example sentences
- And off we both went through the rain, pleasantries exchanged and honour satisfied.
- After the introductions were done they exchanged pleasantries with Caitlyn who answered politely to all of them.
- Johnson attempted to start conversation with some pleasantries but Bill was not very talkative.
- 1.1A mild joke: he laughed at his own pleasantry
late 16th century: from French plaisanterie, from Old French plaisant 'pleasing' (see pleasant).