Definition of plover in English:
A short-billed gregarious wading bird, typically found by water but sometimes frequenting grassland, tundra, and mountains.
- Family Charadriidae (the plover family): several genera and numerous species, especially the ringed plovers (Charadrius), golden plovers (Pluvialis), and lapwings (Vanellus)
- In the mud flats of the Bay of Fundy, you'll see large roosts of shorebirds - plovers, yellowlegs, godwits, curlews, and phalaropes - at high tide.
- Currently, visitors to the flats are likely to see sandpipers, avocets, oystercatchers, godwits, dowitchers, plovers and other shorebirds on their way south.
- The Semipalmated Plover is a small plover with a short bill and yellow-orange legs.
Definition of plover in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia