informal , chiefly North American
Definition of plug-ugly in English:
noun (plural plug-uglies)
A thug or villain.
- Two huge plug-uglies stood on either side of the door, arms folded.
- A broad plug-ugly was trying to twist around, shaking and shimmying his forearm caught by her hands.
- The filmmakers' desire to create an unstuffy, modern version of the Renaissance monarch merely turns him into a boorish, violent plug-ugly.
adjectiveBack to top
Very ugly: that was one plug-ugly dress
More example sentences
- He has gone off for good with that plug-ugly researcher.
- Okay, so you are not plug-ugly and you don't find it impossible to lure women into your dizzying orbit, but just what is it about you that turns out to be so utterly repellent?
- Gone were her cauliflower ears, gone was her pug nose, her squat face had ballooned out, her once squinty eyes were now just slits in her plug-ugly face.
by association with the verb plug in the informal sense 'hit with the fist'.
Definition of plug-ugly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan