Definition of plunger in English:
1A device consisting of a rubber cup on a long handle, used to clear blocked pipes by means of water pressure.
- Take a suction cup plunger and pump it up and down directly over the clogged drain.
- Force as much water as possible out of traps with a plunger.
- Insert the plunger at an angle so no air is trapped under the cup.
1.1A part of a device or mechanism that works with a plunging or thrusting movement.
- Invert the syringe (point tip upwards) and slowly press the plunger to a level that pushed out any large air bubbles that may be present.
- I could instantly see how the tea was progressing, and the plunger kept the leaves out of the way until the pot was drained.
- I may have to invest in a small coffee plunger, so I can froth my own milk.
2 informal A person who gambles or spends money recklessly.
- This was a race for the plungers, the speculators, the people who trade commodities and bet the house that the price of nutmeg will skyrocket.
- Our man braved the winter elements to report on the event and capture some of the plungers on camera.
- Not often do plungers sprinkle their market fixations with references to Dante and Homer.
Words that rhyme with plungerblunger, conjure, expunger, sponger
Definition of plunger in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.