noun[often as modifier] Ice Hockey
- A running total used as an indication of a player’s effectiveness, calculated by adding one for each goal scored by the player’s team in even-strength play while the player is on the ice, and subtracting one for each goal conceded.More example sentences
- He's only a fourth-line checker for now, but he has made the most of his opportunity - 17 goals and a plus-minus rating of plus - 22.
- The 20-year-old defender isn't putting up big offensive numbers, but he's been right around the break-even point in plus-minus ratings all season, despite playing on the worst team in the West.
- Traditional plus-minus systems tend to overrate average players on good teams and underrate good players on lousy ones.
More definitions of plus-minusDefinition of plus-minus in:
- The British & World English dictionary