- Lung inflammation caused by bacterial or viral infection, in which the air sacs fill with pus and may become solid. Inflammation may affect both lungs ( double pneumonia), one lung ( single pneumonia), or only certain lobes ( lobar pneumonia).More example sentences
- The commonest infection is a type of pneumonia, a serious lung infection.
- There are immunisations for several of the infections that can cause pneumonia.
- The most common type of pneumonia is bronchopneumonia, which affects the bronchioles.
- More example sentences
- No vaccine currently is available for pneumonic or bubonic plague.
- In summary, SARS is a highly contagious and predominantly pneumonic illness.
- Daily radiographic assessment is essential for monitoring of this potentially rapidly progressive pneumonic illness.
early 17th century: via Latin from Greek, from pneumōn 'lung'.
More definitions of pneumoniaDefinition of pneumonia in:
- The British & World English dictionary