Definition of pochard in English:
noun (plural same or pochards)
A diving duck, the male of which typically has a reddish-brown head and a black breast.
- Genera Aythya and Netta, family Anatidae: five species, in particular the common A. ferina of Eurasia
- More than 70 varieties of birds breed on and around the lake, including the famous ospreys, tufted ducks, goldeneyes, coots, pochards, mallards and widgeons.
- And while the local migratory birds are flying out, the foreign ones like mallards, pintails, teals, shovelers, pochards, waders and curlews are coming in.
- There were several pairs of great crested grebes but there were also good numbers of tufted duck, pochard, gadwall mallard and teal.
mid 16th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of pochard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia