Definition of pocket money in English:
1A small amount of money suitable for minor expenses.
- As for asylum seekers on two thirds benefit, this sum is more pocket money than most can expect.
- At that time, admission to the museum cost 10 cents, but he has only had a tiny amount of pocket money to spend.
- But here are some full-time students who make the most of their spare time by earning pocket money to meet their sundry expenses.
1.1British A child’s allowance.
- When I was but a young boy I saved up my pocket money to buy all my own decorations for my room, creating in essence my own personal grotto.
- It was at this stage that he became interested in astronomy and saved his pocket money to buy himself materials such as lens from which he could construct a telescope.
- The average weekly sum for pocket money from parents is now £1.87.
Definition of pocket money in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan