- A small Mexican shrub with large showy scarlet bracts surrounding the small yellow flowers, popular as a houseplant at Christmas.
More example sentences
- Euphorbia (formerly Poinsettia) pulcherrima, family Euphorbiaceae
- For most Americans poinsettias are like Douglas firs: You buy them for Christmas, and throw them out along with all that shredded wrapping paper.
- Lavender, rosemary and thyme gathered in thick clumps under the windows, with poinsettias, passionflower, marigolds, marguerites and hollyhocks growing wild in the borders.
- Cut off any colored bracts and prune the poinsettia to about 5 to 7 inches.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, named after Joel R. Poinsett (1779–1851), American diplomat and amateur botanist.
More definitions of poinsettiaDefinition of poinsettia in:
- The British & World English dictionary