Definition of poinsettia in English:
A small Mexican shrub with large showy scarlet bracts surrounding the small yellow flowers, popular as a houseplant at Christmas.
- Euphorbia (formerly Poinsettia) pulcherrima, family Euphorbiaceae
- For most Americans poinsettias are like Douglas firs: You buy them for Christmas, and throw them out along with all that shredded wrapping paper.
- Lavender, rosemary and thyme gathered in thick clumps under the windows, with poinsettias, passionflower, marigolds, marguerites and hollyhocks growing wild in the borders.
- Cut off any colored bracts and prune the poinsettia to about 5 to 7 inches.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, named after Joel R. Poinsett (1779–1851), American diplomat and amateur botanist.
Definition of poinsettia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia