Definition of political economy in English:
Economics as a branch of knowledge or academic discipline.
- The context consisted of economic history, political economy and the history of economic ideas.
- It is not economics that drives the analysis but politics, and the line between economics and political economy has now blurred.
- Early American writers on political economy reacted negatively to Ricardo's theory of rent.
political economist noun
- Example sentences
- The great American political economist Thorstein Veblen, one of the most important social thinkers of the last century, made a distinction between what he called the ‘substantial people’ and ‘the underlying population’.
- Marx develops the position of the classical political economists in two directions.
- George, in contrast, always viewed himself as a classical political economist, in the vein of Adam Smith.
Definition of political economy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan