Definition of pollinate in English:
Convey pollen to or deposit pollen on (a stigma, ovule, flower, or plant) and so allow fertilization.
- When one of the small flowers is pollinated and fertilized, it goes to seed and snakes outward in a fuchsia-colored curlicue.
- The stigmas were then pollinated with pollen from a flower whose anther had dehisced that day.
- In other Magnolia species predominantly pollinated by beetles, pollen shortage or inefficient pollination has been reported.
- Example sentences
- This behaviour clearly indicates that the trichomes are somehow used during the pollinator's life cycle.
- The effectiveness of exclusion through pore size is relatively easy to demonstrate for biotic pollinators by direct observation.
- Even so, approximately one-third of orchid species have evolved pollination mechanisms whereby the pollinator receives no reward whatsoever.
Definition of pollinate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.