- A marine annelid worm of the class Polychaeta; a bristle worm.More example sentences
- There are more than 50 fish species whose lives are linked to Sargassum, and a myriad of invertebrates, including gastropods, polychaetes, bryozoans, anemones, and sea-spiders.
- The focal stage for this analysis is the early period of embryo encapsulation, a mode of development that has evolved several times among gastropods, polychaetes, nemerteans and flatworms.
- Sponges are preyed upon by gastropods, polychaetes, asteroids, echinoids, turtles, and fishes.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting polychaetes.More example sentences
- Generally benthic feeders, many butterflyfishes eat small invertebrates, sponges or polychaete worms.
- Similar, and even greater evolutionary conservatism has been noted among other polychaete families.
- Little is known about their diet at sea, but it includes fish, crustaceans, and polychaete worms.
- More example sentences
- The observed pattern of the nervous system is very similar to that found in many polychaetous annelids.
- A similar argument can be applied to the interpretation of Wiwaxia, a problematic ‘worm’ from the Burgess Shale that Walcott compared to modern polychaetous scale-worms.
More definitions of polychaeteDefinition of polychaete in:
- The British & World English dictionary