Definition of polycyclic in English:
1Of, relating to, or resulting from many cycles.
- In a screen for defective courtship songs, the nonA diss mutant was identified by its abnormal pulse songs, which become increasingly polycyclic and very high in amplitude during a song burst.
- Interestingly, the latter's mutant song phenotype shows similarities to the wild-type songs of the D. virilis group of species, which has song pulses that are more polycyclic than those of D. melanogaster.
1.1 Chemistry (Of an organic compound) having several rings of atoms in the molecule.
- The respirable portion of particulates can include acid condensates, sulfates, nitrates, and organic compounds (e.g., polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons).
- The molecules, called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, are common in interstellar space, and many believe they were among the raw materials for life.
- Chronic exposure to polycyclic aromatic compounds in dusts produced at the plant was suggested as a possible factor in the disease excesses.
1.2 Geology (Of a landform or deposit) having undergone two or more cycles of erosion and deposition.
- Some structural, petrological and isotopic evidence suggests multi-stage and possibly polycyclic metamorphic evolution of the granulites of the Eastern Ghats belt.
- Chert fragments are likely to be polycyclic but originally derived from obducted deep-sea strata.
- The pervasively and multiply deformed polycyclic high-grade metamorphic rocks make it difficult to reconstruct the original evolutionary history of the Mozambique belt.
Words that rhyme with polycyclicacyclic, cyclic
Definition of polycyclic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan