Definition of polyembryony in English:
The formation of more than one embryo from a single fertilized ovum or in a single seed.
- A characteristic feature of gymnosperms is polyembryony manifested in the formation of more than one embryo in immature seed.
- Three-banded armadillos developed a unique antipredator strategy by entirely rolling up into a ball, and nine-banded armadillos are the only vertebrates to reproduce by obligate monozygotic polyembryony.
- The miracidia will then penetrate prosobranch snails, Elimia symmetrica, where they will transform first into mother sporocysts, which will give rise to daughter sporocysts via polyembryony.
- Example sentences
- Interestingly, multiple lineages of Hymenopterans have switched from syncytial to holoblastic embryonic cleavage, or to polyembryonic development.
- Polyembryony was further characterized by determining DNA content and fingerprints of embryos obtained from 157 polyembryonic kernels.
- At the end of the experiment, seedlings were gently removed from the soil to be sure that polyembryonic individuals were indeed separate and not simply multiple stems of a single individual.
Definition of polyembryony in:
- British & World English dictionary